Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sensations

I know some people seem to better equipped with what you need to become a good runner than other people. Some of us are just what you would call a nature talent. But I in fact don't believe in that. Of course some people can run faster than other people. But I think most of us can run. That is not the same thing as the ability to start slowly and listen to your body. If you start out too fast and find yourself eating painkillers after a few days, then you might just as well find another sport where it isn't as easy to abuse your body. Runners with injuries are most likely runners that do not listen to the signs their bodies are trying to get through to them. Maybe because they are on some pills, I don't know. But if you are careful and take time to let the joints get used to the running you minimize the chances of anything going wrong. It might be easy to say this. Well, you can't get this free. The good shape of a marathon runner. And you can't buy this for money. It is your own time and effort that counts. I didn't start at the zero point. I was in good shape when I decided to run the marathon. And I am even not superstitious enough, not to say that I in fact have never had a running injury. Because I am not too ambitious. I don't have to be the best. I don't have to do this in a month or two. 

This is my lifestyle and has always been. A part of my lifestyle is also to avoid pain killers. I use relaxation and yoga instead. And somehow I manage to get along fine without painkillers. I just think it is extremely important to be able to listen to your body. That is the reason for me going through three childbirths without any medication at all. I knew that the pain wasn't dangerous and that it would go away again. I will never say a childbirth is comfortable. It hurts like hell. But the pain doesn't last for ever. Even if it feels like it can't get any worse at a given time. But then, inevitably it is all over. And there is this wonderful new human being that takes all the focus. If all goes well and a woman is not medicated, the few hours after a childbirth are something one never has a chance to experience under other circumstances. You are wide awake and all senses open. The new baby is so amazing. Every sound, every movement, every smell is like the most important thing on earth. Countless thoughts fly through the new parent's mind. Feelings you have never felt before. Concerns about the welfare of your baby. Thoughts about the future. You look at every small detail like the nail on the little finger. I wouldn't want to miss that.  And I didn't want painkillers to interfere with this sensation.  


Well I am not saying the same counts for running as for childbirth.  Or maybe.  In the end it is your own effort that counts and you don't get anything for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment