Thursday, January 26, 2012

Health

I decided few years ago that the time had come I had to develop my own style. There is one thing I want to emphasize. I run because it is healthy. It feels good to be in good shape. I am not in this because I want to win some race somewhere. And I am even not in this because of the company. I get to meet lots of people at work and sometimes I just need to get out there on my own. That is my meditation and relaxation from the busy life i am leading. On the other side I enjoy being a part of a huge street run where thousands of people are moving the same way. And just disappear in the crowd. I can easily see myself joining the big races in the big cities around the world. Yes, that is a good idea. 

Need I say I have never taken any psychofarmaca. The running is enough to keep me in good spirits. This topic could easily get me into the gear of talking about health for days. I think I will start right now. First I would like to say that I think it is plain stupid not to care about ones health. I have never understood why people do not care if the put themselves at risk by eating unhealthy food, smoke, drink too much, not exercise and so on. I mean, you choose to start smoking. And what do you get out of it? Years of couching, burn huge amounts of money and high risk for all kinds of diseases. Or if you take the elevator and not the stairs. Or the car and not the bicycle. Plain stupid I'd say. And about exercise. It is tremendously important. Not because one stays good looking, but because it prevents all kinds of diseases. OK, the good looks are a bonus. I for sure can't imagine life without running. Or if I couldn't run I would probably bicycle, swim, walk... I don't know. I have always liked being outside. Grew up in the countryside in a big family. Was a girl scout. Climbed mountains, hiked, bicycled, walked. Yes, and went swimming outdoors. A little skiing also. 


What about you?  Why do you run?

4 comments:

  1. Running is my meditation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, thanks for sharing... I'm very motivated to be the best I can be in my life, in all ways. This can be hard sometimes, and can be hard to live with. Running for me is about pushing myself and fighting against everything that getting older brings. I use it to stay sharp in my mind, stay focussed. I used to use it to balance out the bad things in my life - diet, drinking and smoking - but now use it to improve. The bad things are no longer around me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In it's own way, running is the BEST natural psychofarmaca in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often hear people say running seems to help people get rid of bad habits :)

    ReplyDelete