Sunday, February 19, 2012

Time Management And Running

Sometime someone asks how I find time to run. And the same someone often says that he or she wouldn't have time to run. For me it is a question of priority. If you want to do something, you find the time to do it. Maybe I watch less television, but I don't think I do less of those activities one is supposed to do, like working and spending quality time with family and friends. I even have other hobbies like writing and singing in a choir.
The week has 7 days. Let's say you sleep 8 hours and work 8 hours. Maybe you spend one hour getting yourself to work and home again. And maybe you spend two hours on getting some food and eating each day. That would leave 5 hours to do something else each day, something like running.
I am not saying you should run for 5 hours each day. No one does that except maybe some professional elite runners. But you get my point. Most people do have the time to exercise if they want to.
Small children can take a lot of time, but you can do something else while you are babysitting. There are countless types of strollers available if you want to take the baby with you running. Most children do have two parents who could take turns babysitting and running, but that would take some planning. If both parts are familiar with the plan it is more likely to work than if there is no plan or if one part doesn't know or want to follow the plan.
Planning is essential. At least in the beginning, until the running becomes a part of the daily routine.
Some weeks I run 100 kilometers. That sounds like a lot. And yes, it can be difficult to find the time to do that, but then, if you think about it, I shouldn't need more than 12 hours ca. on the road in order to run 100 kilometers. And if I count the time it takes to change clothes and shower I should manage with two or three hours each day. I usually run from home which gives more time since I don't spend time on driving out to the woods or wherever I want to run.
Most people find that exercise gives more energy and if you exercise you seem to overcome a lot more of those daily chores than if you don't exercise. One sleeps better and so on. It is a win - win situation. You run and you get more energy to do all the other things you'd like to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment