Thursday, February 2, 2012

No shortcuts

There are personal trainers that want the runners inside the gym to do all kinds of exercises to prevent injuries. I have been inside a gym so I can't say that I have never set a foot there. But I have never attended any class for runners in a gym. If I go there it would be for some dancing class. Or maybe Pilates, yoga or something like that. Not weight lifting. I swim, I bicycle. And I do exercises at home. Sorry gym owners, you don't get my money. I think the best way to prevent injuries are the right shoes. Not some expensive supportive shoes. Just regular running shoes that fit your running style. And then the second most important thing is to listen to your body. Know your limits. And be careful not to let other things push you too far. Don't try to be number one always. Someone has to be number two. Someone has to be the last to cross the finish line.

Drugs, food additives. Why are so many athletes tempted to use those? Once in a while you see a famous athlete crying on television. Saying he is sorry that he had cheated and misled all those people who believed in him.  What makes people take a risk like that? Well, being the world's best is maybe worth it? If you just take one day at the time. But who wants to look his grandchildren in the eyes and admit that you weren't entitled to call yourself a world champion because you were abusing illegal drugs? 

No comments:

Post a Comment